Saturday, May 11, 2024

An aurora movie blog

Everybody heard about the amazing aurora borealis we were to get starting the evening of May 10. I'll be honest and say that after seeing the aurora from the Arctic Circle, I'd become a bit of an aurora snob. Still, they said this would be good, so I picked a location and headed out about sunset.




My thought was to set up in South Glenmore Park, looking north, thinking I might get the aurora over downtown, and reflections in the water. Except all the action was to the south. Here's the photo that went around shortly after I got home.


Here's a link to the movie.  

This had my computer churning away for most of the day to edit over 1900 images that make up the sequence, and then assemble them into a movie.

The sad thing about it is that while there were lots of people out watching, many left before the show began at midnight. The people watching with their eyes wouldn't have seen any of this. All our eyes could see was what looked like a mist or a cloud. Even the people holding up their phones were only getting part of the show.

There is a followup here




2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Thanks for the movie compilation; it really shows the dynamic nature of the aurora. Houston only had a little bit of a pink sky in some areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean is traveling just now, but sent in a comment via the Adobe Portfolio Contact Form Submission from 'Contact' Page. (That's what it says!) This is a new one for me, not knowing I could get a comment that way. He said "I loved your northern lights movie - well done.
    Rogil, Portugal"

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comments.

Introduction to this blog

Welcome!

Hello and thank you for visiting my photo galleries. You can use the tabs above or the links below as you choose. The galleries will be upda...