Thursday, March 31, 2022

More B&W

A bit over a week ago, Cam and I did a road trip to pick up my new (to me) camera. I put some Acros II 100 into it to shoot on the way home. It turns out I only found a couple shots I liked, but then took it for a walk in South Glenmore Park. I wanted to see how a forested area would turn out in B&W. In the most recent blog you saw the shots of me that Ken took, now scroll down and see the ones I took of them.

But we start with the trip. 
1. f16 1/60 for both of these. This actually took two tries to DSLR scan. Dust, especially in the upper left corner where it's easy to see. And yes, there's still dust specs. 


and 2.


It's obvious I edited them differently, even though they were shot within a few minutes of each other. I'm still working on my thoughts about editing film. I'll remove the obvious dust specs where they detract from the image, and if I like it enough I'll reshoot it if I have to. So far I like showing the full negative but that's not always possible. Stay tuned for further thoughts as they emerge.

For those that insist on comparison, here's what it looks like in colour, with different focal lengths and exposure.
3.

4.

In South Glenmore park I chose to stroll along the paths along the hillside, wishing I'd brought traction aides in some places. The path itself was icy, with the areas beside it clear of ice, but full of brush. The light was really nice through the trees, though it made for tricky exposures. I usually double checked with the light meter. 

5. f11 1/125  I liked the crossed trees and sense of depth. I wanted as much of the background in focus as I could.


6.  f5.6 1/30 This was a bit of a gamble. I was trying to balance getting everything in focus, but not too slow a shutter speed, and not knowing how it would look.

7. f4 1/500, loving the strong contrast in the bark, and wanting to see how the out of focus areas beyond looked. If anything the dark areas of the bark were darker than shown here, but I didn't want to lose the detail in the bark at the top.

8. I think these are a little overexposed, but I didn't note the settings. Still, lots of detail, and it starts to give me a sense of how portraits are going to work out.


9. In a digital photo I'd probably have cropped this in bit, and might still for this. However, I like the sun and moon motifs balancing each other. This is my favourite shot of the roll.


The astute of you will note there are only 7 photos from the roll. I'd taken one of some fir trees, but there was a light leak, or a hazy flare across the bottom right of the photo. Plus I think it's ever so slightly out of focus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comments.

Introduction to this blog

Welcome!

Hello and thank you for visiting my photo galleries. You can use the tabs above or the links below as you choose. The galleries will be upda...